Your task is to work in groups to create a proposal that will solve an International conflict based on a Fictional country. You will present your proposal to an International Committee where it may be accepted or rejected.
It is important that you research the topic, that you fully understand the complexity of the problem and the important factors that you will have to deal with.
Questions to consider:
1. Is it a violation of International Human Rights ? (check the link below!)
2. Does it go against commonly recognized, universal morals? (check the links below!)
3. Who are ALL the people or groups of people directly or indirectly involved in this conflict? (ex. Governments, Companies, Community, Families, Small businesses, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Military groups, Religious groups, etc.)
4. What is the problem exactly? How will your group solve the problem?
5. *Now that you have done some research, it´s time to create your plan! Use your notes from class on how to create a proposal and/or peaceful protest. (Below is the powerpoint on proposals. Use it!!)
How to make a PROPOSAL
Conflict A – Your group is concerned about a situation occurring in a country called Islamistan, where an Islamic extremist group has taken control. Under their laws, women have very little freedom. They cannot vote, work in politics or administration jobs nor can they leave the house without their faces and bodies completely covered. What can your group propose?
Conflict B – Your group is concerned about a situation occurring in a developing country in South America called Volivia where a private company has recently taken control of all access to clean drinking water. The people in the villages can no longer take water from their traditional water source, as the company has diverted and blocked the natural flow; furthermore, these people are too poor to pay the private water company for the new manditory installation. What can your group propose?
Conflict C – Your group is concerned about a situation occurring in a country called Zwahizi deep in the African Congo. Here there are militant gangs that kidnap families from slums in cities, then they put the men, women and children to work in slave camps, working for the illegal trade of diamonds. Once the diamonds are sold to International Markets, it is virtually impossible to detect that they came from slave camps. What can your group propose?
Conflict D – Your group is concerned about a situation occurring in a country called Castro, on a small island in the Carribean, in an exclusive, top secret zone, where the US Army has a prison camp for international terrorists or war criminals. There the prisoners are violently tortured as way of interrogation, or attaining information. What can your group propose?
Conflict E – Your group is concerned about a situation occurring in a country called Kyong-Jin. It is a communist country, so there are many strict rules and government controls. For example Google, Facebook, Twitter and almost every other form of online social media is strictly forbidden, using such forms of media could result in the highest forms of punishment such as life in prison or death by firing squad. What can your group propose?